Monday, February 21, 2011

Back In the Corridor

One thing I have learned about myself through teaching is that I am a visual learner.  I'm not very artistic, but word pictures seem to better express my feelings than anything else!  So this picture of  our present circumstances being a corridor keeps playing through my mind.  This weekend I've been thinking that there is more than one way to try to escape the corridor.  I see many doors along this hallway.  The doors are closed, but I can hear voices on the other side of each one.  The doors open to rooms that don't lead anywhere, but offer a welcome diversion.  Some are like a temporary rest stop that give me momentary relief.  Behind these doors, I am encouraged by being with friends, being in church, going to the beach. . . even going to the gym!  Each of these rooms let me catch my breath and provide a resurgence of energy that propels me back into the corridor.  But other doors lead to rooms that are much more seductive.  They pull me in and make me want to stay.  These are doors that open to binge eating, alcohol, shopping, t.v., self-pity, bitterness, jealousy . . places that relieve the pain, but paralyze my ability to return to the corridor and keep moving forward.  Escapism can be oh so dangerous. 
But better than leaving the corridor is having people join me in this dark mess.  These people don't come with flashlights and road maps, but their simple presence brings comfort.  There is a certain awkwardness to being found in this place.  It is embarrassing to be seen.  But, push past those initial feelings and their intrusion is welcomed.  For me, these friends bring the calm and assurance of God into this dark place.  They make this corridor less frightening and drown out the whispers of self-condemnation and shame.  They bring fresh reminders that one day this corridor will bring us into a place of light and joy and celebration.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written. I am praying for you and that God refreshes your spirit today. --Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my dear friend - this is so well said...as usual. I'm thankful that God allows us to be corridor mates.

    ReplyDelete